Tuesday, February 22, 2005

What was lost

On my original geocities website were several pieces of genuine genius amongst the sea of mediocrity that is the www. Most of it was rubbish, though.

The best of the best (sir!) were probably:

I can't forking forget you - my tribute to Above All, one of the greatest bands to come at the end of the golden era of heavy, thrash-influenced rock before the rise of nu-metal. It was all a bit tragically fanboy (I was 17-18 at the time), but surprisingly incisive given my lack of training as a music journalist. I heartily recommend their first and only album, Domain. I'm also rather proud of my t-shirt and demo tapes of theirs that I've still got.

Replica was the covers band that Phil, Grimm, Nick and I were in at school, and remain my only band apart from my current joy, Abyssmal, that Phil and Grimm are both in as well. I wrote a stunning and cutting self-critical narrative of our practices (hilarious), one and only gig (at school - shocking) and the after party (my 18th - memorable). Probably the best page on my website purely for its novelty value.

Words, words, words - I also had a series of links explaining my most-used words as a teenager. I think this was seriously groundbreaking in its scope and vision. Not.

My low-walled life - about the dark gaping void in my soul (I was 17, remember). Was hilarious the last time I read it 4 years back. My favourite part was the sheer melodrama of it all. Wow. I should have written a play - it would have been brilliant. But totally awful at the same time.

That's it. The rest of it (all 30-40 pages) was rubbish.

Even my ambitious music links pages. Of which there were 20 sub-genres.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home