Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Hampton

Today I continue my glorious quest in ancient history. I am now reading Kagan's 'The Peloponnesian War: Athens and Sparta in savage conflict 434-401 BC'. This is because I need something to tie up all the reading I've been doing - Thucydides is just too detailed to keep a handle on all the issues.

Kagan looks pretty good. He seems to be following Thucydides' narrative structure so far, but putting the actions into a wider perspective, which the original is not strong on. I suppose if you knew who all the individuals were and where all the places are then it might be easier. I even drew a huge map so I could look up stuff easily. Kagan's maps are brilliant and frequent.

But I seem to be getting further away from my original objective rather than closer. I had originally picked up Thucydides on Wez's recommendation so I could get the Greek angle on the Carthaginians. But there is very little. There has been some discussion of the Carthaginian attacks on the Greek colonies in Sicily, and of Alcibiades' desire to conquer Carthage as well as Sicily.

However I have now got a much better hold on what was going on at the other end of the Med, which means I can sort out my trading model much more effectively. I can also start thinking (as usual) about expanding the whole game and doing the Med in the C5th. But that would be suicide. Still, I haven't shelled out for any life insurance yet, so what the hell?


Sadly, despite the academic tone of both book and blog, all I can think about is:
"is this the savage beating? has it started yet?"
Which, as any fule kno, is a taunt from Martin to Matthew in Game On. (http://www.phill.co.uk/comedy/gameon/index.html)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home